Eggs are our best friends for busy days and busier schedules. While we may not be getting enough time to prepare and enjoy home-cooked meals as frequently as we like, recipes like this can help us motivate towards that goal. Cheap, nutritious and very easy to cook, knowing how to cook 2 or 3 simple and delicious egg dishes can definitely help spice up our time in the kitchen.
This recipe takes 15 minutes to make, it's healthy, low in calories, high in protein and guaranteed to keep you full for a very long time and can be eaten at any time of the day!
You will see that the ingredient list is short and simple. You can change up the spices and herbs as you wish but this combination has been tried and perfected so I recommend you give it a try.
There is no need to use added salt simply because of the high sodium content coming from the feta cheese and the black olives.
I chose to serve it over flatbread here because lately I've seen my fiancé putting his omelette on a flatbread, rolling and eating it as a giant egg wrap and I'm not going to lie, it really grew on me.
If you're avoiding gluten, carbs in general or simply want to keep it low calorie, you can serve it with a refreshing bowl of green salad with cucumbers and a simple olive oil-lemon vinaigrette.
Tips and Tricks:
- The recipe makes two servings, which can be served as two individual omelettes made separately or one big omelette to share. If you want to make this for a crowd or maybe a Sunday brunch, you can double the recipe, sauté the onions and peppers, mix them with the rest of the ingredients ( plus 1/4 cup or 60 grams of heavy cream) in a large mixing bowl, pour it in a greased skillet and bake in the oven until the eggs are set (8-10 minutes).
It will be more of a frittata than an omelette yet the flavours will still be complimenting each other perfectly!
- You can make a vegan version of this dish by simply leaving out the feta and using tofu scramble instead of eggs.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN
COOK TIME: 5 MIN
30 grams of feta cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
8 green olives, pitted
8 black olives (preferably greek olives), pitted
8 cherry tomatoes
1 Turkish chilli pepper or any mild green chilli pepper
1 red onion
A handful of fresh parsley and dill
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black cumin (nigella sativa) seeds
Black pepper to taste
1. Prepare, wash and cut your herbs and vegetables.
2. Pit the olives and crumble your feta.
3. Heat olive oil in a preferably non-stick skillet. Keep the heat at medium to prevent the bottom of your omelet from burning while the top is still raw.
4. Beat your eggs in a mixing bowl.
5. If you don't like to eat raw onions and peppers, first sauté them in the olive oil. If not, skip to this step.
6. Pour your eggs into the pan and add all your ingredients one by one on top of your eggs. I prefer starting with onions and peppers and continue with tomatoes, olives, feta and finally herbs and spices.
7. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 2 more minutes until the eggs are set on top.
8. Serve with some fresh bread or green salad.